As there appears to be some interest, I thought I would give an update on the current state of our gun laws post the Christchurch terror attack.
I apologise if this is somewhat off topic but if you have no interest please just ignore this post.

No great surprise, in the main they are an ill thought out, rushed, knee jerk reaction that tends to target the law abiding not the criminals.
We are still in a state of flux with the new laws being implemented and interpreted, and a tranche of more laws going through parliament as we speak.

OK, as we stand ATM:

A category licence (the majority of the shooting population) you can own and use:
Bolt action, lever, and pump centrefire rifles, internal or detachable magazine with a maximum capacity of 10 rounds.
Semi and pump shotguns, no detachable magazines and limited to 5 rounds capacity (based on chamber size)
.22s of various actions including semi auto limited to 10 rounds.
Security: a regular gun safe or locked cabinet to deter casual burglar or children.
You must attend a firearms safety course, pass a multi question test, have next of kin and referee interviews conducted and be of generally good character.
Renewed every 10 years, no limit on numbers.

B endorsement.
Pistols of various descriptions for different shooting disciplines.
You must be a member of a registered pistol club, and maintain 12 visits a year.
You can only take said pistols from your home to the range and they must only be fired at the range.
Limited to I think 12 pistols, but exemptions can be granted.
Police arms officer will visit annually, and all B endorsed pistols are registered and checked then.
Security is much greater, police approved safes or strong rooms only.

C endorsement
Collectors, the same as B , but you do not need to be a member of a pistol club, however you cannot fire said pistols.
No limit on numbers.

P endorsed licence:
Everything that has now been banned above.
Must be disabled by removing a vital part (firing pin) and stored off premise.
You may be granted a P for some commercial pest control, otherwise if you own them under a P you cannot fire them, much like a C.
This category is new, and there is still much interpretation going on.
Security at the moment same as B and C.

D endorsement:
Dealer of firearms, can stock everything above.

As it stands registration is limited to B, C, and P, however the next tranche wants to register all firearms via an online system which you update yourself.
Not sure how that will work, and is something we are obviously appealing.
Also they are looking at 5 year licences, with tougher criteria to get one.

Anyhow, thats a basic run down as it stands.

GDU.