Originally Posted By: canvasback
Okay, next question. While you have linked me to a report of the event written by someone other than the target, how is this event actually playing across NZ. Is the victim of the raid garnering sympathy from the general public? Is the press portraying him as a right wing loon? Is the press even covering it in a meaningful way or is it a blip and then relegated to the dustbin of news stories?

This kind of regulation is about to be enacted in Canada so I have some real interest. It's not theoretical up here, the way it is in the US.

For example, our recently elected government ran on a platform of specifically banning AR-15 rifles, among others. Despite the fact they are already what we call restricted. Where their only legal use is at an approved range and where they are part of a restricted weapon registry. And all this in a country where, at last check, no one ever has been killed by an AR-15.

It has not really had a high profile.
However I expect more raids to come, possibly quite a few over a short time as police want to look like they are getting tough on those that do not comply.
The main opposition party, while they were behind the initial laws, are now starting to side more with the licenced firearms owners as being unfairly targeted for something they did not do.
All I can say is I hope they win the next election this year.
The Labour/green (left)coalition not only seem hellbent on making life tough on firearms owners, but free speech also seems to be in their sights.(unless they agree with it of course!)
GDU