Reference has been made to "The Southern" chamber burst and failure analysis. I couldn't add to the old thread, and some may have missed it, so here 'tis
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=546106

There is no new information to share; specifically the recipe of the reload.
The diagnosis of the defect was made immediately by Dewey Vicknair, but I at least learned a great deal from the metallurgical study. There were several emails exchanged with both the metallurgist and metallurgical engineer to help me understand the results. The relevant snippets are in the thread.

I would be happy to send anyone interested the report from METL - it is a 5MB PDF.
Send me an email at drewhausemd@yahoo.com and please include in the body of the email the statement "I acknowledge this document is the property of Drew Hause. Nothing in the contents will be reproduced or shared." I'll reply with the PDF as an attachment.
Sorry, but I don't want to find an internet article somewhere with the study I paid for, and which may be misrepresented.

And BTW: I should get the Winchester Nickel Steel barrel to METL next week for composition analysis and tensile testing.
The tube is ruptured and I might also have METL prepare a micrograph of the burst edge. An obstruction with high pressure failure (above ultimate tensile strength) should show elastic [this is an error - it should be "plastic'] deformation with terminal cleavage. Low cycle fatigue failure (repetitive stress above the yield strength) has a different appearance. Might be interesting if not educational.

Last edited by Drew Hause; 01/18/20 04:17 PM. Reason: correction