Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
Do you mean sections of turn-of-the-century barrels that did not burst? A valid criticism.
METL has been pretty excited about this and the previous pattern welded barrel study because there are very few images thereof in the metallurgical literature, and almost none of pattern welded barrels.

BTW and relevant. There are images of hull steel plate recovered from the Titanic. The acid-lined open hearth hull plate steel, from the works of David Colville & Co., was non-standard AISI 1020, with a slightly higher phosphorus, much higher sulfur, and lower manganese concentration. The tensile strength was 65,000 psi, and the low Mn:S ratio (6.8:1) made the metal more brittle in the cold temperature.
The photomicrographs showed dirty steel with both silicate, sulfide, and manganese sulfide inclusions.

This is from "There's Danger in Damascus" by Major J.W. Houlden, June 1950 "C-I-L Oval", a publication of Canadian Industries Limited and reprinted in the 1960 "Guns Digest". Obviously pre-SEM & EDX and of much lower resolution

Burrard published a few photomicrographs also

Adam Schiff? Really? Why is it so hard to discuss things on this Forum without personal insults RARiddell?

Still didnt answer my question? What is your sample size, controls? Are you saying the Titanic is the standards for all steels? There are some bold statements but not seeing how you come to your conclusions. Adam Schiff comment wasnt a personal attack, just a similarity to whats going on here. Its cool that you are interested in this and awesome that you are willing to share, I just dont see how what you are showing is explaining what you are saying. Look Im a man of science, you can get upset that Im questioning you, but if youre bringing up science in a double gun forum, well you gots some splanin to do, Lucy!
Sincerely
Rick Riddell of that ilk!

Last edited by RARiddell; 01/22/20 07:40 AM.