Thank you sir: From an internet post, a history of Clabrough:
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=245239

Also in 1882, J P Clabrough Brothers obtained the US manufacturing rights to a hammerless thumb-cocking action (UK patent 2816/1879 Richard Ellis & Henry Scott, USA patent 252703/1882 Henry Scott assigned to J P Clabrough) but it too was unsuccessful. However, the firm also obtained a license to manufacture for sale in the USA the John Thomas Rogers and John Rogers patent sidelock barrel cocking mechanism (No. 397/1881). This mechanism became the most popular sidelock cocking mechanism.

By 1892 the trade with America was declining for British makers, in part because of the McKinley Tariff. But also because of the stiff competition from Belgium where the labor rate was lower and industrialization of the gun industry was in full swing

The question, as always, is who paid for the action patent use? Where are the records? I'll assume based on this educated reply that this Oaks & Co. shotgun made by E.M. Reilly was made in the early-mid 1880's...not the late 1880's I'd assumed it to be. Still...it's a fine looking gun with a modern feel and top lever.

I've researched numerous Reilly patent payments to Purdey - these records are literally under lock and key protected by the family apparently. I don't understand the legal problems but others do. So in trying to understand whether Reilly payed royalties for guns he produced, I'm pretty much down to Henry patent rifle barrels, a number of which are recorded on Reillys per above. I'll be researching where this info might reside.

The search continues. Again thanks.

Last edited by Argo44; 02/17/20 10:34 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch