Keith,
The situation here in Scotland is a bit different from America .
Firearms for game shooting or target only and a declining interest in both over the last couple of decades by the general population. Although I was brought up in the country where shotguns were common here in the city I know very few people who have any interest in using firearms. For example no one I work with, around 100 people , is a gun owner.
The restrictions on firearms ownership have come about after mass shootings the Hungerford massacre by Michael Ryan brought about the ban on self loading centre fire rifles and the Dunblane massacre by Thomas Hamilton brought about the handgun ban.
After serving in the Army I held a firearms certificate for pistol shooting which I surrendered after Dunblane . I wasnt too bothered ,clay shooting ,wildfowling game shooting and deer stalking were more enjoyable and the pistol clubs had their fair share of Walter Mittys who although harmless were a bit tedious.
We are fortunate in Scotland that real gun crime incidents are low, and restricted to drug feud hits when they occur , so we have little fear of a firearm related attack. The limited availability of handguns here means no one feels the need to carry a firearm to protect oneself so no we dont have access to handguns but then we dont really need them.
This general low interest in firearms related pastimes and the perceived lack of need to be armed both compared to USA has probably contributed to a lack of opposition in general to firearms restrictions.
Of course within the associations there is a continual fight to combat an increase in restrictions but there is no one fighting to enable Scots to conceal carry handguns and Im quite glad that is the case.