Konor3inch,

Sorry, but banning handguns has not saved any schoolchildren.
You missed perhaps the fact handgun crime went up after the ban, the fact no more school massacres have occurred is not due to the ban.
As I understand it, handguns are still pretty readily available in the UK if you know the right (wrong) people, only the good guys handed theirs in.
He could just as easily have used a shotgun, if so would you have happily handed yours in?
Respectfully, I think you are drawing a direct line from the weapon used being the problem rather than the person.
Here in New Zealand, unfortunately we have all been the victims of a deliberate and hateful crime.
However, in the perpetrators manifest, he stated he specifically chose firearms as his weapon of choice as it would cause the maximum amount of social discord, a goal he has unfortunately realized.
Had he instead used a bomb or a truck the result would have still been the same.

The majority of firearms murder in this country is committed with sawn off .22 rifles and shotguns, not handguns, in spite of the fact legitimately owned handguns are not uncommon.

Back in the 80's I remember walking down the main street carrying a rifle to the sports shop, no-one batted an eyelid.
Do that today and people would be screaming and you would find yourself locked up.
Crime with firearms here was greater then than it is now, so what's changed?
Constant bombardment from the media that guns are bad, and an increasing urban drift.

GDU.