Originally Posted By: 375whelenIMP
I think Linden is one of the most well-known gunsmiths of the period. there were many period articles written about him which are quite useful today.

He passed away in 1946 which predates the E.C Herkner company scope mount (1947) and the Pecar scope (1953). From my understanding of Linden rifles that does appear to be his stock work but I don't make any claim of being an expert on it.

I have a couple of period articles about him archived and I will upload more when I get the time.

Hello 375whelenIMP,
Thanks for the reply.

I look forward to reading this, and any other articles that you upload. Thank you.

I'm aware that the scope and mounts are later than Linden. The auction listing stated; "quick detach side scope mount, front sight removed" ... "Action mounts a Lyman receiver sight base with the peep removed and a blank insert filling the vertical dovetail" ... "original 1903 front sight band & blade, King Pacemaker ramp/band/blade & hood."

Since the rifle has a Lyman receiver sight, it stands to reason it originally had a front sight as well. So, sometime post-Linden, (1950s) someone must have added the scope. Because the scope is a low power 2-3/4x64, its likely that the front sight was visible (and distracting) in the scope's view. Hence the front sight was removed. Fortunately, it was retained, and could be re-installed on the barrel.