And if anyone follows the Reilly history and serial number chronology closely, the above appearance of two Reilly SN 8578's made me review records I've had some doubts about for some time. I've had to make changes. SN 3329 and SN 3392 tuned out to be identical guns. The correct number is 3329, which is now the last main-line SN'd gun from 316 High Holborn.

This changed the SN order and number of guns made per year a bit from 1839 to 1859 by a few dozen guns a year. But the change does have a certain advantage In that it makes the few existing late 1840's Reilly guns seem more chronologically logical.
-- (For instance, it moves JC 7000 series 7201 .577 single barrel rifle back to 1848, which can justify more easily the "removed from Holborn" still on the trade label. (It looks like JC was wedded to the High Holborn address...he never changed it in his voting registrations out at Bourn's End...a pretty conservative fellow it would seem - which might explain why he quit in a huff in September 1857 when EM was going full bore into center-break guns).
-- And if the Swedish "8578" turns out to be "8378"...it makes the "5000" figure jump from 3329 upon the move to New Oxford Street more logical.

This said, much of the early chronology circa 1827 to about 1857 is pretty speculative given the paucity of extant guns. The chart I made is logical...but subject to change. (and even so...it will still get you close to the date your gun was serial numbered).

Last edited by Argo44; 04/06/20 07:37 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch