Originally Posted By: Vall
Originally Posted By: BrentD
Chuck, other than the generally very nice triggers on Ballards, I don't find them any better handling and they do have constraints on how they can be cocked without breakage. Winchesters can be operated from any po position and are very conveniently cocked on closing.

I have liked my Ballards, but not moreso than any others. However, You are not alone on you love of Ballards.

I suppose you do have to be smart enough to not cock the hammer and then try to open your Ballard. But not sure that says much for the owner/shooter of a gun?
Some would say cocking on closing can be dangerous, because you have to be smart enough to not leave it cocked after closing the action. That's not a good selling point for a hunting rifle. It's also why Winchester dropped that feature in later models.

Of course, most people, almost as a reflex, put their hammer to half cock before lowering the block of a falling block, so there is that. Not necessary with a Winchester, but it won't break your gun like it will a Ballard. In heat of the moment over a half-dead moose, I can imagine doing that. I didn't however, so my Ballard was just fine, but it has happened to many.

Cocking on closing is the norm for so many guns, all the multishooter lever guns that I'm aware of, for instance. Winchester among them. Many a break action shotgun and all pump guns have the same feature. Add bolt rifles to that list also. I suppose there are a few that find that a problem, "but not sure that says much for the owner/shooter of a gun?"

No, Winchester did not drop that feature, they made a few that came up at halfcock for special order for those "not smart enough" to deal with a whole cock. In the field, but especially in a match, that cock on closing is sure darn nice. And speedy too if the clock comes into play.

Winchesters also lack the lovely "permanent disablement feature" that a Ballard can have if and when the clamshell block screw backs out a turn or two. There is a least one or two such infamous guns hanging on barroom walls around the West. I am sure you have heard of them.

The Winchester 1885 was going to be pretty much the death sentence for the Marlin Ballard, if only they had hung on that long. Lots of good reasons for that. But everyone is entitled to their own favorite, and in my opinion, the Singleshot was and is still the best singleshot rifle in the world. Frasers are darn nice though, as are many others, including Ballards. Nothing wrong with being second place once in a while. smile

As for the recalcitrant cartridge, I'll leave that to your imagination. I have no doubt you know exactly what I mean.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]