I have no idea what a "recalcitrant cartridge" is? So can't even address that.
Louis L Hepburn was a consummate shooter, and especially a long range shooter, having been a member of the first US Creedmoor team. And after his time shooting longrange he immediately set to building a better single shot action to improve upon the Rolling Blocks that half the US team shot at Creedmoor. The Hepburn is a shooter's gun, designed to be strong, and most efficient for the shooter to use. It's side lever was designed specifically to make shooting easier for the shooter, and it most certainly does.
As for stuck cartridges, I've owned single shot rifles for decades in every configuration and maker and to date never had a cartridge that was stuck in any of them that opening the lever, (even a Hepburn lever) wouldn't pop it free. And the extractor on a Hepburn has a snapping motion more like an ejector, so when you open a Hepburn it's likely the case will eject, so you wont be fumbling to draw a empty out, you'll be grabbing a loaded round to chamber.
A Hepburn is much easier to maintain your position, even when you eject the case and insert a loaded round because you have no under lever requiring clearance. Now if you're shooting offhand that's not as much of an issue, but just swinging your thumb away from the top tang and swiping the side lever down is certainly less movement, and much faster than opening up
any under lever. I bet I can unload and reload my Hepburn faster than you do your High Wall, and likely have another shot off before the High Wall shooter has chambered a round.
When hunting, that's a real plus if a 2nd shot is needed.

As far as Hepburn designing the rifle to be easier to handle in a match with the side lever, not losing position, etc. just doesn't fly but if it is mentioned enough by writers and forums, then it must be true. They are all missing one big point as they are comparing today's matches with those of yesteryear.
Few people understand that during the first matches each side only used two targets. Shooters got into position, fired their shot and then got up and returned to a table where they did the wiping out and reloading. Most shot from the supine position so there is no design feature in the Hepburn that helped the shooter fire his shot. Good features where the center hung hammer and faster lock time. The lower breechblock may have aided in wiping out but it really wasn't necessary.
I've owned two Hepburns and shot them in matches where the breechblock wouldn't come down without almost having to use a mallet to open it. I have had many recalcitrant cartridges during matches that are shot with time constraints and not having enough time to wipe out. Another feature of the Hepburn that I don't like is that the rifle has a lot more movement due to torque. It's probably because of the stock design.
I don't shoot as much as Brent,but I probably average 3 long range matches a year. Now that age has crept up on me, it's more about shooting rifles that I have built than being able to do well. I have shot my best with a Borchardt and my Deeley & Edge probably because they ride the sticks so well.I have not used a highwall in LR matches but it is my go to rifle for gong matches. Great extraction and camming action.

This all coming from a recalcitrant curmudgeon sitting home and watching the shooting season go down the @#$%$#@.

P.S. A friend and shooter, unless he is having a bad day, kicks butt with his Hepburn.

Last edited by Bob Saathoff; 04/21/20 09:54 AM.