Originally Posted By: graybeardtmm3
RAR:
the work seems to be progressing nicely on the hollis gun. my hollis gun has a very similar half pistol profile with an extremely slim wrist, and fine flat top checkering. no church windows on mine, but the checkering patterns end, not in conventional points, but with simple curved borders - never seen such before these guns.

on your gun, my greatest concern was for the barrels, on one side (can't recall which) there was an area of pitting at 12:00 just behind the sleeving joint. photos weren't very good, but it looked as though it might be fairly deep - and right over the forcing cone in that tube. i, for one, am certainly interested in how your project turns out.

best regards,
tom

I didnt think they were that deep maybe borderline in the pic, in reality its a lot shallower not as deep, unfortunately there is some pitting under the forend that I was more concerned with, I sent the barrels out to be checked and should know shortly. Although I did take a chance and put about a dozen rounds through it (YIKES! ) The stock is still a ways off, no more oil, I think it was coated with something prior to transport here to the states as it cleaned up was really easy virtually no oil in the in letting. Its a nice dark walnut with light figure! The gun was definitely neglected, two screws had to be replaced due to rust and corrosion, I plan to do a little write up in the DIY section on its restoration, cool thing the inside of the action is stamped S. Mills! I love the engravings of the dogs, real reason for buying, the work and skill to do that is amazing, you can see fur and the shadows for definition is really cool. More to come!