Just taking the "Wheatsheaf" Emblem from the guns oval this is the emblem of the County of Cheshire here in Britain used from the dawn of history. Also this Emblem is used on the Silver assay mark for the City of Chester the county town. From Steve Nash posting there is one name that leaps out of the page "Cholmondeley" a very old Cheshire family name there is a Castle of the same name and a family associated with it also a Lord Choolmondeley head of the family. Oh it is pronounced "chummley" another quirk of Brit English, may be Cheshire and old Cheshire families may be a good starting point for the guns History.
A more down to earth explanation of the image in the oval it could be just the guns owner could have been a resident of Cheshire or just born there or his name is Cheshire so the Wheat sheaf could mean just that, to put it simply I am a resident of Cheshire and I could put that Wheatsheaf on my gun and if the truth be known any person could use the Wheatsheaf if they wish, also there are a large number of public houses called the Wheatsheaf and there is no reason to stop the owners having the wheatsheaf crest engraved on their guns as long as it is not an attempt to de fraud. So just because it looks like an heraldic crest does not mean that it truly is.

Last edited by damascus; 04/30/20 09:19 AM. Reason: 2nd paragraph missing

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!