Upcoming Cowan's auction. -
https://www.cowanauctions.com/lot/english-schuetzen-percussion-target-rifle-by-e-m-reilly-4015848
English Schuetzen Percussion Target Rifle by E.M. Reilly
50 caliber, 33.25" barrel, no S/N. Damascus barrel with schuetzen-style stock finely checkered at forend and wrist. Blade front sight with iron ramrod pipes with entry pipe leading to reinforced forend. Classic schuetzen type triggerguard with set trigger. Forend tapped for palm rest. Top of barrel marked "E. M. REILLY 502 NE OXFORD ST. E315 OXFORD ST. LONDON." Lockplate marked "REILLY/LONDON" and engraved with classic broad scrolls.

This is the first Schuetzen Reilly that either Terry Buffum or I have ever seen. Analysis: The address on the rib is "E.M. Reilly 502 Ne (sic: "w" is missing) Oxford St. & 315 Oxford St., London". No Serial number has yet been identified (I've asked Cowan's - they confirm no SN). Engraving of the address is crude with misspelling. There is no "& Co." on the Rib or lock plate. Thus, it should have been retailed between August 1858 (opening of 315 Oxford St.) and March 1859 when "E.M. Reilly & Co.," first appeared. Without a serial number, I highly doubt Reilly made it. Belgian work? The "London-twist" Damascus has been seen before Reilly barrels.

I will mention that I'm not very happy with the very curt reply received from Cowan's. It was unprofessional imho and sort of left the feeling there was something to cover up. (The "history" they attached to the ad... while relying to some extent on this site....was not good).

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Last edited by Argo44; 04/15/22 03:33 AM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch