Originally Posted By: 12boreman
Until one has used a vintage 10 gauge hammer gun with black powder to shoot clays and live birds they can make no comparison. There is something about a 10 that just settles into the hands and feels right. Especially with an English stock. Most of my 10's weight 8 to 8.5 pounds. Not much more than a 12 but they just feel better!

12boreman, the following is not aimed at you specifically. Rather, it is intended to add a bit of science to this discussion. I am an engineer steeped in science, but I still believe in magic weapons. The holder of a weapon he believes to posses magical powers is a step ahead of others. Magic comes from the combination of suitable weapon with inspired warrior. The warrior has need only to focus on his own performance as he knows full well that the weapon will take care of its performance. After all, it is magic.

Science. We need concern ourselves with three "fits." First is stock fit which aids in pointing the gun quickly and accurately. At minimum we need appropriate dimensions for length of pull, stock drop at comb and at heel, and stock cast at face and at butt. Note that these dimensions are not gauge specific.

Second is gun dynamics fit which aids us in changing which way the gun is pointing quickly and accurately. The factors are weight, teeter-totter balance, unmounted swing effort, and mounted swing effort. Swing effort is based on moment of inertia which in turn is based on weight and weight distribution. Gun gauge is not a factor.

Third is feel fit. It is based on the size and shape of the areas where the gun is gripped. Consider the wide difference in feel of tight pistol grip to straight stock and beaver tail fore end to splinter. Again, not gauge specific.

All three fits are individual to the shooter. The trick is to get all three in one gun!

And, if you believe in one gauge above the others, by all means shoot it. You will shoot better with a gauge you have faith in than with one you consider pedestrian.

Last item. Shoot guns you enjoy before ones you shoot well - life is short and can always use enjoyment. Gun aesthetics are not to be overlooked as a "fit."

Thus endeth this rant.

DDA