After reading Kings comments about the survivors not considering themselves to be heroes but only doing their duty got me thinking of one of dads lifelong friends, the late Harold Blumberg, who was crew chief on a B17 over Europe. After Harold died, his family found a trunk in the attic that contained papers and old uniforms and other war memorabilia. Among the papers was a Polish medal for valor and citation recounting a raid over Warsaw and his valor in defense of the flak-riddled plane and for repairing a defective bomb bay. According to the citation among other things, he crawled out on the catwalk over open doors to repair the mechanism to drop the armed and live load. Harolds deeds during that raid were written about in the Stars and Stripes in April of 1945 by Andy Rooney. True to form, according to the article Harold didnt tell the story to Rooney as he was on furlough at the time the article was written. Harold had never told anyone in his family about the raid or the Polish citation for bravery as he never spoke about the war to his wife or children. The Rooney article was recently reprinted by Stars and Stripes in celebration of the 75th Anniversary of the wars end. I found the article this morning as I looked for Harolds obituary.
https://www.stripes.com/news/special-rep...berlin-1.462690