Question 2): As for "John Baker" I looked at 450 odd John Baker's in the 1861 London census. I limited myself to the ones who lived in Middlesex, since the average commute of a Londoner at the time was 1.2 miles per the above books. I was unable to identify a John Baker - gun maker. There were carpenters, silk-weavers, foremen, coach painters, bricklayers, hatters, laborers, bill posters, police, cabinet makers, shoemakers, porters, table makers, an undertaker, a "reader to soldiers", plasterer, ...etc.

There was one "John Baker", a widower who identified himself as "Benchman." That would be the only possibility for the John Baker who patented the shell crimper for Reilly:

There also is this "John Baker" who was an "engineer":

Edit: There is this fellow Frederick J. Baker, Gun Maker from the 1861 census....I haven't paid to get access to it and ancestry.com ism't turning up everything - not even close. I may join that UK census site.

Frederick J. Baker, might be this fellow from the 1871 electoral rolls. I need to get better with this census stuff:

Alexandra Road is across the Thames and a good 5 miles from 315 Oxford Street. - long commute in 1861.

Last edited by Argo44; 06/10/20 10:39 AM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch