Imperdix, The list of extant Reilly's is on p.44. Reilly serial numbered abut 33,000 guns from c1825/7 to 1912. There are about 375 listed on p.44 with another 50 or so for which the auction houses did not publish the serial number. About 1.4% of his serial numbered output. But at least one British writer wrote that Reilly also made guns for the trade - for other makers in London.

In 1880 Reilly made about 650 serial numbered guns per the p.44 chart. Purdey and Holland&Holland combined made about 490 (I've temporarily lost my reference). By 1882...Reilly was making over 1,000 serial numbered guns a year double the number of Purdey and H&H together.

I speculate that Purdey and H&H guns survived because of who bought them - well-to-do gentlemen and royalty. Reilly made inexpensive but quality guns and delivered them rapidly and his clientele were the mid-level military officer, etc. They probably just shot those guns to death they way they were supposed to.

Scroll through that list of extant guns which are now dated pretty well. It's a walk in UK gun history..from muzzle loaders, the beginning of center-break guns, Enfield rifle-muskets (the dominate surviving gun during the War Between the States), the first military breech loaders - Prince, Terry's Patent, Green, Snider, Complain, Martini-Henry actions, etc... the SxS break action guns, pin fires, advancing to center-fire, a lot of SxS big-bore rifles, on to pigeon guns, etc. And he made a ton of guns for the Yoemanry militia and gun clubs.

I'm now on the track of an alleged photo taken inside the Reilly workshop on Oxford Street from the mid-1870's. Have to wait for Library of Congress to reopen.

Last edited by Argo44; 05/29/20 11:06 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch