Kirby Hoyt just listed Reilly SN 13224 on Guns International. I sent him a link to this DB and analysis:

Kirby, my name is Gene Williams, McLean VA. I've written a new history of the Reilly firm published in two parts last Aug, Sep in Diggory Haddoke's on-line magazine Vintagegunjournal. The research into Reilly continues and update can be read here: ://doublegunshop/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=436538&page=44

I've compiled a chart dating Reilly's by Serial Number which can be read on the above line. 13224 would have been dated in early 1864. Reilly at the time had two workshops at 502 New Oxford St. and 315 Oxford St. Since the gun is sleeved, we don't know which shop made it. But the case is not original to the gun. 315 Oxford St. changed to 277 Oxford St. in November 1881.

I also believe the gun was originally a pin fire and has been converted to center-fire. The earliest Reilly made center break, original center-fire shotgun I've found is SN 14115 dated on my chart to 1866, about the time the first practical center-fire shotgun cartridges were patented. Anyway, beautiful gun..

Got this back from him.

Thank you so much for your help with this Reilly. I will pass the history along to the new owner as it was sold yesterday within an hour of its listing. I have probably had between 100 and 200 Reilly’s over the thirty some years I have been selling English doubles.

I believe we have some coming soon in our next shipment from the UK. Do you have a serial number chart you would share so we can date them? Buyers often want to know when their gun was made so it is wonderful when we can provide the approximate date in the listing.

Again, thank you for sharing your knowledge with us,

All the very best

Kirby

Kirby, I'm attaching the latest version of the "New History of Reilly" from the "Doublegunshop" Reilly line. At the bottom of the history, is the current serial number dating chart with footnotes. Hope this will help. You're welcome to share it with your customers.

I do plan to change the footnote again shortly....I got a little carried away with gun serial numbers and downplayed the March 23, 1847 move from 316 High Holborn to 502 New Oxford Street - which is the marker date.

The Reilly line is here - it caused some uproar because for 50 years the "establishment" has said that Reilly was a retailer only. I think I've conclusively proven that they were one of the largest gun making companies in London from 1827 to 1900 when they began to decline - Bankrupt in 1912:

Gene,

Thank you so much. This is fantastic!

We will make great use of this information and am pleased we can share it.

If we can ever do anything for you just let me know

All the very best

Kirby

Revolutionary idea: If you have a history of an obscure gun maker and can date the guns...marketing gets interesting. Perhaps some others could use the data here. It's free. Send me an email and I'll send you the document on the History and Serial Number chart....and the Case/Trade label dating information...and if needed the Extant SN database. smile

Or heck, just super-copy it. NP - - better yet, we'll make a trade - give me your database on serial numbered Reilly's you've sold over 40 years for the Reilly database and I'll give you the history for free. Hummm...wait....it's already free. smile

Last edited by Argo44; 06/03/20 09:31 AM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch