Does the set of barrels on the Tinker gun have the "notches" for a vertical pin like most pinfires ? If so, I cannot see the notches. Then, if no notches I'd suggest that there may have been two sets of barrels. One for a normal pinfire with the breech dovetails set up as they are now. The way I understand the pictures, with the dovetails in place and the pictured barrels in place, there is no means to fire any cartridge.

Then, if the dovetails are removed and replaced by something similar to the Westley Richards conversion that Mr. Nash posted earlier , the gun could be used with this set of barrels as a centerfire. If this set of barrels actually does have the notches for a vertical pinfire pin, then either type of ammunition might be used , depending on which dovetail breech set up is used.

In the scenario I mentioned, the ramrod would serve as the extractor for the "non-pinfire" , possibly centerfire, set up. The pinfire cartridge could usually be extracted by hand or with a small tool designed for same.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 07/23/20 12:48 PM.