Originally Posted By: Stan
Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones
Checkering serves no useful purpose on target guns and just chews your hands up.

Bullshat. I've shot over over 1300 rounds a day for four straight days with a sharply pointed checkered grip and forend with not even a hint of hand damage. What a wuss.

Checkering most certainly does serve a purpose. I wouldn't shoot a comp gun without something to increase my grip ......... checkering is the best combination of function and looks.

SRH

I'm the wuss and you can't hold on to a shotgun without something to increase your grip?

Funny how Remington sold millions of guns with their stupid pressed in inverse 'checkering' and nobody seemed to be dropping them all over the trap and skeet fields.

I have a callous (acceptable alternate spelling that I've grown fond of since I learned buzz dislikes it) at the base of my middle finger from my trap gun. It's from the checkering. I'd be happy if the gun had no checkering at all.

This is a discussion board and there's no right or wrong, but if I was going to spec out a grip it would be smooth and have finger grooves. It would have a very full pistol grip like a Perazzi.

The key to decent target shooting is doing everything the same way each time, and what could be better than a grip that actually fit your hand and came up exactly the same way each time?

If you have your fingers wrapped around a grip like that there's certainly no need for a non slip coating.

Would that look like hell? Maybe. But the 100/100 would look better.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble