Beautiful gun, Tinker, thanks for sharing. I have yet to encounter an original Lefaucheux.

I'm going to go back to my comfort zone, the British pinfire. I've already covered the Lancaster slide-and-drop action, but the most famous action of this type seen on pinfires is the Dougall Lockfast, which, like the Powell lifter and the Westley Richards top-lever, carried well into the centre-fire period.

James Dalziel Dougall was one of the first British gun makers to recognise the potential of the pinfire. Initially based in Glasgow, he opened his second premises at 59 St. James St. in 1864, which is when the gun below was made, and marked with the London address. For those who haven't handled a Lockfast (Patent 1128 of 7 May 1860), moving the side lever downwards pushes the barrels forward slightly, disengaging them from raised bosses on the action face and allowing the barrels to swivel for loading. It is not a fast snap-action, but it is immensely strong and suited for both guns and rifles.

Dougall was a tireless promoter of his invention, writing in his 1875 book Shooting: Its Appliances; Practice; and Purpose:

"This is not the place to enter upon personal or commercial matters and I should much prefer in this treatise to sink my identity as a gunsmith altogether, were I not induced to believe that practical experience, honestly expounded, must have weight with impartial readers. I will only say, therefore, that the " Lock-fast" system of breech loaders, with which my name is inseparably connected, is constructed so as to give the old interlocking of the muzzle-loaders to the new weapon. In the Lock-fast it is the stock itself which holds the barrels in their place: the mechanical movement is merely the agent to bring the stock and barrels together. The system also first demonstrated the great fact that the barrels should be held down at their extreme rear, and all genuine progress has since been made on this most important principle. If I knew of a better gun, I should at once adopt it; and feel assured that no unprejudiced reader will blame me for thus frankly stating most honest and conscientious opinions, and the results of experience. Beyond this, however, I will not go, nor carry the war into the camp of the enemy on matters of detail, although this would certainly be commercially justified by the thousand-and-one ridiculous mis-statements which have been set afloat against the Lock-fast breech-loaders, but which each succeeding season sends to the limbo of untruths. It is a fair logical inference, that the complete success of any invention against bitter opposition is the best proof of excellence."

Gun number 1750 is a 16-bore Lockfast sporting gun by James Dalziel Dougall of London, likely made in 1864. The 29 7/8" damascus barrels have London proofs and are signed "J. D. Dougall Inventor & Patentee 59 St James St London." The back-action locks are signed "J. D. Dougall" within a banner motif. The Lockfast action conforms with Patent 1128 of 7 May 1860. There is no radius cut at the at root, and the percussion-style fences are thin. However, there are raised bosses on the face of the standing breech and action base, with corresponding indents on the barrels -- making for a very secure connection. The breech flats are marked with "Patent Lockfast" cartouches and London view marks, and the actioner's initials "JMC" on the bottom plate (person unknown). The underside of the action is also signed "J. D. Dougall Patent Lockfast" within a banner. Sadly the bores are pitted, and the gun weighs 6 lb 11 oz.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Steve Nash; 02/03/21 04:56 PM.