TW:
“about those tails that Mr. Leopold is wearing ?”

Leopold and friends spent a lot of time using their rifles on the woodchuck and I would suspect, but don’t know for sure they are woodchuck tails.

“and the rear elevator/height adjustor for the scope I can easily understand, but how did the front mount pivot? Do you know?”

One of the best scope makers of the day was John W. Sidle and I believe the scope on his rifle is a Sidle. There was a “Leopold Snap Shot” scope made by Sidle named for him so that may be what that one is. There were a lot of mounts back then and Sidle did make a figure “8” front but the one in the picture looks like wire or rubber bands , not something I have seen before.

”and the cartridge the Borchardt is chambered for? Were you lucky enough to get the cartridge or was Dr. Baker using more than one as it would appear his counterparts were. Is that a cartridge bag he is carrying?”

Most likely a cartridge bag he has as all the others seem to be loaded down with ammo. Every year they went to New York to shoot Woodchucks.
The rifle is chambered for the .25-Niedner known today as the .25 Krag, a 30-40 Krag necked down to .25 caliber.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014