Originally Posted by Daryl Hallquist
Mr. Nash, it is interesting that you have found the names of those who worked on the Boss guns pictured. Which of those workers were "in house". We know Sumner was not, were the others in that same situation ?

The Boss pair you show were very similar, made in the early 1860s. I assume that Boss had , even at that time, developed his Brand, making owning a Boss something special in the gun ownership world. Without holding those Boss guns, I do not see a big difference in quality as compared to other, less familiar names you have pictured. The lock engraving does not stand out above others. Salesmanship seems a very important part of the industry even that early.
Thankfully some makers' records have survived, better still if the names of the outworkers used are noted. In the Boss & Co records, space is provided for the various tasks, with names written in some records, left blank in others. I'm assuming if there is a name it is an outworker, and the absence of a name means it was done in-house (I have another Boss pinfire, a single, for which no names are specified). Barrel makers often sign their work on the barrels (as in this case, JP, confirming the paper record), and the Portlocks (either brothers or father and son, information is not clear) supplied barrels to the best makers. The locks are stamped 'JB' for Joseph Brazier. EC Hodges is known to sign his actioning work, but I have not found his mark (it might be behind the breech face, but I have not removed the stock to confirm this). I expect outworkers used on a regular basis could fulfil their tasks to the required standard, including 'best' work.

You are right, salesmanship was as important then as it is now. Also location of the shop (as I pointed out in an earlier post, short St. James Street housed Boss & Co., JD Dougall, James Woodward, Stephen Grant, John Rigby, and Charles Moore), and royal patronage had a lot to do with a firm's standing. I honestly doubt you could differentiate them in terms of quality (they probably got their locks, barrels and furniture from the same suppliers, and used many of the same outworkers), and the Boss doubles I pictured earlier are fine guns, but with no outstanding features. I believe Boss & Co adopted the slogan 'makers of best guns only' some decades later, and in the 1860s might only have used high prices to enhance their snob-appeal.

From the Sporting Gazette, 19 June 1869:

Boss & CO., Gun and Rifle Manufacturers. --- BOSS & CO. beg respectfully to inform their numerous patrons, and the nobility and gentry generally, that their business is carried on at their old established shop, 73, St. James's-street (next door to the Conservative Club,) and that they have no connection whatever with any other house. N.B.-Several good second-hand guns and rifles for sale by celebrated makers.

Last edited by Steve Nash; 02/03/21 05:10 PM.