“Super post; a little OT”

Mike, Thanks, Yes it is, however as a young lad A.O. Niedner was allowed to shoot William R. Schaefer’s (the celebrated double gunmaker of Boston) muzzleloading rifle and that was how he first got interested in firearms. There are very few places on the web to discuss historical rifles so I would hope that we could now and then touch on the subject. Even the DGJ is now the DG&SSJ.

All four lived in the Boston area, shot at the famous Walnut Hill Club and traveled to Shushan to shoot woodchucks at least once a year. Dr. Baker had a ‘Woodchuck Reserve” that he spent a lot of time at.

”Michael, is your .25 Neidner/.25 Krag the short version or the full length?”

This rifle was modified by Niedner in 1911 and it uses the full length 30-40 case which was pretty much standardized by then. I have one of Mr. Niedner’s rifles (model 1911) and it’s chambered for the same cartridge. I had a Winchester High-Wall that belonged to Dr. Mann for a 1909 version of the cartridge, the case acted like a breech seater and the outside diameter of the case was .257”. It also has a set of Mann-Niedner bases soldered to the barrel, I still have the barrel but used the high-wall for a different project.

The picture of Leopold with the tails, the rifle he has looks like it’s chambered for the .28-30-.22 Niedner or .28-30-.23 Niedner but have not idea which, Niedner made both.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014