Quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Fewless:
What an interesting rifle that Borchardt is! It looks like he extended the striker back through the end of the block like a bolt rifle. I wonder what he had in mind there? To be able to cock the rifle with after the breech is closed? Adding all that mass to the striker seems a high price to pay for whatever intended benefit.

I would really like to examine the double set trigger as well.

Thanks for posting the picture.

Glenn
Niedner removed the cocking cams from the Borchardt and made a new breechblock. In order to install the double-set-triggers the safety had to be removed. This is fine on a target rifle but not one used in the field. It’s a little hard to explain but the firing pin is inside of the striker and very light weight, I have no way to measure the lock time but it is very FAST and safe to carry with a loaded chamber. For the work on this rifle Niedner (from Niedner’s Malden, MA shop books) charged Dr. Baker $108.50.

It’s been a while since the last time I had this rifle apart. I wrote this back in 1993 about the rifle.

‘When the lever is lowered a cam on the lever retracts the firing pin a short distance from the fired primer; after the action is closed, the cocking knob must be pulled back before it can be fired. The cocking piece that holds the firing pin is hollow and weighs less than half of the original Borchardt firing pin, resulting in a very fast lock time.”

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014