Here is info on the above Samuel Breeden, alt. spelling Breedon - from a few hours of research - internet is a great thing:

Edited - there are several Samuel Breeden/on's in Birmingham at this time....believe we've got the right one now:
Born in 4 May 1813. Saltey Washwood, Aston area of Birmingham, Warwickshire where lived his whole life.Believe his Father was William Breeden and Mother Mary Breeden
-- 17 Aug 1834 - Married Charlotte Lynol
-- 1849 listed in Birmingham Directory in Saltey Washwood as a “Gun Furniture Manufactuer”
-- 1851 Census – born in Shifnal, Shropshire, England, Saltley Washwood. Married to Charlottte. Son William, Daughter Charlotte, Emma. Occupation listed as “gun furniture maker; trigger maker.”

-- 1853 notice that Samuel Breedon of Washwood Heath, “gun furniture and revolving pistol maker” took on an apprentice named Thomas Spencer (the younger) of Washwood Heath.

-- 1855 listed in Birmingham Directory in Saltey Washwood as a “pistol and rifle sight maker”
-- 1861 Census. Living in Saltey Washwood area. Wife Charlotte. 3 daughters Emma, Charlotte, Luisa. Occupation listed as “Breech Loading action manufacturer and master employing 8 men”

-- 1862 listed in Birmingham directory as a “Gun Furniture maker” located at Washwood heath

-- 1862 listed in Birmingham directory as living on Washwood heath
-- 1862 listed in Slater’s Royal National Commercial Directory under “Gun, Rifle and Pistol Makers” as “Breech loading” located on Washwood heath.
-- 2 July 1865 Samuel Breeden died. William Hill of Birchfield (gun maker) and John Dennison of Birmingham (Confectioner) were executers of the will. His effects were worth under Ł 100. He was buried on 9 Jul 1865.

So as of the 1861 census (in April) he was making breech loading actions. I still think the Reilly was most likely made around this time rather than March 1858. I'll post this on the Reilly line. Thanks for the help,.

Edit: Help needed:
My opinion: This serial numbered Reilly was not made by him...and is the exception to the rule that Reilly did not SN guns he didn't make (double negative - 2nd take - "Reilly only serial numbered guns he made" - clearer).
-- The Barrels are proofed in Birmingham
-- The action is from a Birmingham action maker.
I believe he engraved the gun (very familiar style), and stocked it (very familiar wood used). I also think it is an early pin-fire but not from March 1858 which the serial number would date it to. I would put it to 1860 or 1861... that would explain it having "E.M. Reilly & Co." (It would help to have more information on when exactly Breeden began to make breech-loader pin-fire actions. 1861 Census is the earliest hard evidence available).
-- If anyone has more information on the introduction of breech-loading action manufacturing in Birmingham and dates - help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Argo44; 08/08/20 09:35 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch