My re-education in the world of shooting sports continues.

I have been slowly moving my shotgunning over to the right shoulder after about fifty years of shooting off the left. Had I but known about eye dominance, circa 1974 or so, I might have started down this path much sooner, as I have suffered with that the whole time as well.

I have been playing with different guns about the place, except, of course, the lefty specific models, to see what seems to be the easiest to perform with. My Son is a budding shotguner, and wants to shoot on his school league when he becomes qualified to do so, next year.

Thus far, the Richland 20 gauge with 28 tubes, Mod and Imp Mod chokes, pistol grip and ugly beavertail has been the gun that gives me hope on the trap field. I shot a 20 of 25 today, ho-hum in a previous time for me, quietly satisfying after three attempts at my local club. I have more guns to try, but, I want to run the SXS guns as hard as I can, as that is what I want to use afield.

Recoil has been more pronounced to me since the switch. My middle finger on my right hand gets bruised, probably need to think harder about my grip, and put the little cushion I have for a triggerguard, on the gun. I feel clumsy shooting this way, not natural, and a bit off. But, I am thankful I can still try to shoot, and for my Sons company and his dramatic improvement in just a few weeks. He is shooting a 12 gauge pump, and cant get enough time out there. He went from a 2 to 15 in about three rounds, I coach a little, simple things I can see him doing wrong, lifting his head at the shot, checking his swing, etc, but, Ive mostly let him be.

A Mossberg day for both of us. Think I shot a 17 that day.

It could be worse. I look forward to the coming bird season, and count my blessings.

Best,
Ted