I have battled strong left eye dominance and right hand shooting for 30 years but switching to left hand shooting is just not going to happen; my left hand has the coordination of a club. I have tried all the usual remedies: closing the left eye, winking before pulling the trigger, tape, vaseline, but have always been a poor shot. I recently found a YouTube video by Nick Penn https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFUHXrMWUXo who insists that the whole cross dominance issue is unfounded and the brain will compensate if you keep both open and focus on the target; he demonstrates with new shooters but doesn't go into much detail.

A few weeks ago I tried SC with both eye open and was amazed to find that I immediately hit better than with the left eye occluded. I need a lot more practice, but after a few range sessions I am pretty convinced that this will work for me, I think perhaps because my stronger left eye makes it easier to maintain hard focus on the bird. Even with glasses, my left eye has better acuity than my right, and now for the first time I can see the rings on the clay and distinguish front from back. Thus far it is working well with most shots; I am learning to trust my eyes even though things still look a bit wonky out there and for the most part I am delighted and optimistic.