Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Originally Posted By: BrentD
There are a couple model 8 on gunbroker right now I believe. But probably 12s.

They are considerably cheaper than an SKB 280 which would still need some doctoring to catch up to the Merkel. All you really get for that extra money would be ejectors and a really ugly single trigger.

Ugly single trigger? It's a single trigger that's pretty darned reliable. Inertia rather than mechanical. But of all the Ithaca SKB's I've owned, I can't recall any trigger issues. If you want those, go talk to the Turks.

I never said unreliable for a reason, Larry. It does work, but damm, it is ugly; not to mention frigid even smile. if it was blued, it would still be hideous but less obvious. The silvered ones on the 100s and the gold on the 200s are what they are, and you know what they say about life span and ugly guns.

That said, I still have 2 SKBs to go with my Merkel and many other guns as well. So, the darn guns are worth owning in my opinion, but they have their limitations. They are no more reliable than a Merkel M8 nor a spec more reliable either. The Merk has it all over them for looks and warmth while being on par for reliability and about the same money (as the 100s - 280s are a lot more and an M8). At least that's mine opinion.

crs - that Parker looks anything but entry level (like an SKB 100 or M8). That's as fine a Parker as I've seen. Not a big Parker fan here, but I could learn to like that one, a lot. I suspect I would have to trade in both my SKBs and the Merkel to get one, however.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]