Originally Posted By: topgun
Thanks pod, and in answer to your question, I haven't collected serial number information in many years now; my current focus being on unusual guns and new research data. But your Grade 2 was one of SAC's most popular models with beautiful Damascus patterned barrels and retailed at $50 (suggested) with auto-ejectors and $55 if fitted with the ejector on/off device. Your serial number would indicate yours to be what is know as a "Second Variation Model" with stock head in-letted into the frame, double top bolt, strengthened top strap, and modified safety slide. If your gun was ordered with the ejector on/off device, it would be a bit rare as that device is seldom seen on guns below Grade A. In 12-bore, barrels were never cataloged shorter than 28" but I own a Grade 3 light weight gun special ordered with 26" barrels; so who's to say someone couldn't order 24" tubes? But I've also owned SAC guns with 18" and 20" barrels and can attest that those tubes were definitely cut (and one of those guns was a rare BE grade). Your serial number would date your gun to 1902. Good luck with your barrel fitting; and if you don't know already, barrels from the three different production periods are not interchangeable so your replacement set should have a serial number in the approximate range of 245XX to 335XX (there is some overlap).

Top... whats the weight of your grade 3? We'd love to see pics?