Originally Posted By: LeFusil
Originally Posted By: duckaholic
So with a choke of no more than Improved cylinder with a 1984 model winchester 23 Heavy Duck could I shoot modern numbered (usually #4) steel shot. I just find it hard to believe that a gun manufactured during a time when steel shot was required in certain areas for waterfowl that winchester made a Heavy Duck gun that would not handle steel shot.

I called winchester and ask them what the standard inside bore diameter was for a 23 HD was and the reply was "we don't have that information". I ask about shooting steel shot in the gun and they said "no". How can you not know the standard internal bore diameter, but know if you can shoot steel.

The short answer is YES. Your 23 will handle steel shot. Modern steel loads, the shot will never come close to contacting the bore. Stick with moderate velocity and shot no larger than 2 and you will be fine. The tightest choke constriction should be no more than 20 thousandths. A great combo is .010 & .015...if youre pass shooting or taking longer shots, .020 will work too.
Keep your draw bolt tight/snug and periodically check it throughout the season. Get the plastic fouling out of the bore after each hunt and you should be good to go. I have friends whove been using BSSs & 23s with steel for a couple decades now with no ill effects on the barrels, the only problem Ive heard of is of several guns coming off the face after several thousand Duck load rounds. In my opinion....thats gonna happen to pretty much any double used for waterfowling eventually. Goes with the territory. If it starts getting a little wiggly in the joint...have it rejointed and use it for a few more thousand rounds (aka a couple decades).

Have to agree. I've seen steel shot used in BSS's, Winchesters, older Citoris and a few others since steel shot came out with no ill effects if the gun is set up properly choke wise. I have a 1973 Superposed 20 gauge that belonged to my Uncle. He had the chokes opened to modified and shot steel through it for waterfowl every year since it was mandatory. It certainly hasn't hurt the gun.

Last edited by gunsaholic; 09/04/20 01:39 PM.