I have a "betweener" Sterlingworth 20- 28" barrels, DT AE- right after A.H. Fox moved production to Utica (per Callahan letter) I bought it from an older gent-serious grouse hunter who inherited it from his father, also a brush worn pursuer of both ruffs and 'cock every Fall-- stock and forearm well worn, blueing and case colors worn off, but like all the A.H.Fox guns, still locks up solidly, and shoots to POA-

I bought it in the miss-guided hopes of MI getting a legal dove season--that proposed season never developed, mainly due to the Auduboners and Bible Beaters who view the doves as the carriers of some olive branches I guess. Anyway, when I acquired it and shot it on preserve birdies, a few local gun gurus that frequented a local preserve told me that if it had 26" barrels instead of the 28" length it would be worth far more, should I ever wish to sell it. Ain't gonna happen- I gave it to my oldest grandson on his 14th birthday, 2 years ago this month.

Can any of you A.H. Fox dudes explain this barrel length phenom?
In a small bore double, like a 20 or 28 ga. field gun, how so-- Now a SC O/U, that's a different scenario. I had always heard that grouse hunters (like the late G.B. Evans with his Purdey with 26" barrels (courtesy of Dr. Norris) felt they had a slightly better chance of getting on a flushing bird in thick and nasty brush with shorter barrels. Does 2" difference in barrel length on a grouse gun make all that much difference in birds in the game bag at day's end? Just wondering. RWTF

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 09/08/20 04:04 PM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..