===================================================================================
SN 10054, 15 bore rifle; Fall 1856. Now earliest Reilly pin-fire.

Diggory Hadoke just sent this pin-fire advertisement to me - for sale tomorrow!!
https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/...lot-5db8919b-07d2-4cd7-9c66-ac1700a8e2ff
It is a 15 bore rifle, serial number 10054, 30 inch Damascus barrels with 502 New Oxford Street London address, fixed sight and folding 100, 200 and 300 yard sights, figured chequered stock with plain silver escutcheon, case hardened back action locks and receiver decorated with scrollwork, fitted into mahogany case with maker's label, containing oil bottle, screwdriver, pouch with cleaning jags, and an empty cartridge pouch, as well as several incorrect size Joyce No.16 empty cartridges.

It is pin-fire, forward single bite under-lever in the Lang-Lefaucheux style.
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

It has "Reilly, 502 New Oxford Street, London" on the rib. This is period correct for 1856 - the name didn't change to Reilly & Co., until August 1858.

The label is the post 1855 label with the 1851 and 1855 World's exposition medals on it along with "Fusils � bascule."

You'll note Sanskrit writing - obviously the gun was bought by an Indian maharajah - Really was selling a lot to India at the time and advertising as such (I'll try to get it translated):

The SN dates it on my chart to Fall 1856, just about the time when the first Reilly advertisement advertising "Fusils � bascule" (so far found) appeared in the London Press.
04 Oct 1856, "Illustrated London News"

Amazing find!!History!! I don't think there are many earlier extant UK pin-fire center-break guns.

Last edited by Argo44; 02/01/22 11:02 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch