My Esteemed Mr. Petrov,[isn't old-fashioned stuff fun? ;~`) ]

Enjoy the pics and history. Almost like a time machine, for one's memories of being an awed youngster haunting those quiet library shelves, filled with books of another and nearly forgotten era.

Those classic single shots certainly set an American standard for elegance and accuracy. I remember Warren Page's 1970's book on benchrest riflery. Somewhere in it he mentions that some of the standards set with those early guns and shooters, were not bettered or equalled by modern goods until well after WW2. Not a footnotable contribution, there, but just a general observation.

I'd be interested sometime in seeing an article with good photos or drawings of Niedner's sticks. While there are perfectly adequate versions of that idea [MTM, etc.] over-the-counter available, it might be interesting to make a replica for personal enjoyment. Not that I'm not already some longrifles, and three months of work behind, already this fall. ;~`)

Anyway, it surely has been fun seeing this discussion continue. I'd suspect that folks who admire the doublegun also find a lot to admire in elegant single-shots. Surely has been my case, tho mildly, from rehabbing Steven's Favorites as a young man, to playing around with assorted oddball Euro pieces before they became "collectible".

Definitely need another book on the subject!! LOL.

John

Relax; we're all experts here.