Originally Posted By: Der Ami
pamtnman.
Put me down as a student in your class room.
Mike

You are a gentleman, Mike, thank you for the compliment. Please believe me when I tell you I am not a technically skilled man. I am all thumbs, super Cro Magnon furrowed brow to figure out over a long time the most elementary steps. I do not understand technology, at all, and for me to make things or to get them to work requires a good trait, a trait that has stood me well from a young age. That is perseverance. I just do not give up. Not on anything that is worthwhile, to me. I am fortunate to have my own small business that allows me the TIME to persevere on things, which most men do not have. Where most people understandably gave up on the Lancaster oval bore, because they had exhausted the time they had to fool around on it, I just kept plowing ahead. Literally two years of constant work. After I had exhausted every single possible bullet mold and patch that could or should possibly work for the .450 BPE chambering, I went back and looked at the data from all my efforts. And this is an area where I do have talent - numbers. I looked at the numbers and they all pointed like a giant flaming arrow at sub-bore bullets. It made no sense, it was incredible. But when I loaded up the gun with bullets smaller than the barrel exit diameter, bingo, amazing accuracy. Lancaster oval bores are really a black powder rifling. Anything over 2100 FPS and they fail. Paper patch is required. Soft lead is required. Wads are required. A few years ago Helsley put me in touch with an old Jewish guy in London selling old patents, including gun patents. With the original engineering drawings all folded up. The guy had bought the entire contents of the Birmingham public library, which included actual original patents for old guns, including Colts and Winchesters, and Lancaster, as well as Purdey, Holland, Henry etc. I bought all the Lancaster/ Thorn patents he had, from 1850 to the 1880s. And I studied them carefully. And frankly, I don't think even the Lancaster people understood what their oval bore does or how it works. They just knew that it worked really well. And the sportsmen of the BPE era bought them by the wagon load, because they worked so well. So there, that is today's lecture and it is all I know. Now you know what I know. Thank you for being a nice man!

NRA Life
FOAC Life
PA Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Life
PA Trappers Association Life