If I needed the perfect deer rifle I would have bought a Marlin 30-30, and it would have been a short thread. smile
I made an impulse buy, and I will play with it until something better comes along or it bores me. In my opinion is it not special enough to worry about cutting or drilling, ALTHOUGH I do always hesitate to do so. I bought a Rem 700 in 7mm TCU and intended to make it a small and short deer rifle for my kids, but the 26 inch barrel shoots SO DANG well I won't risk messing with it. I have shot about 18 of my last 20 whitetails with some version of a .50 caliber muzzleloader, and on top of that I don't think one has been more than 40 yards away. I wouldn't pick a 6mm or .243 as a first choice for anything, but I thought this was a neat rifle and I think I would like it more dressed like a sporter. What I really wondered was if anyone thought it was something more than a junky old conversion rifle. I think the stock looks VERY much like my Jaeger Savage 110. I think Flaigs and Jaeger were both in PA was there ever any known overlap there?