Originally Posted By: BrentD
Franc, masting, as it is called, is basically an evolutionarily selected trait to leave seed predators high and dry occasionally and thus hold down their numbers a might and prevent further specialization of the predators on that particular seed. Many nut trees and also conifers do this. HOW they do it is another thing.

I had never heard of such a thing as the above definition of "masting". So I looked it up. Turns out, from several reliable sources, that isn't quite how it works.

https://www.britannica.com/science/mast-seeding

I didn't want folks thinking that their nut bearing trees had actually figured out a way to starve seed eating animals. I've always felt that the local or regional climate has a lot to do with nut production in any given year, just as climate during flowering and growing seasons affects production of many other crops. The fact that none of us are seeing anything that hasn't occurred before should reinforce the fact that so-called climate change is not spiraling out of control, as the hysterical anti-gun Liberal Left Democrat Chicken Littles are crying about.

The red, white, and pin oak acorns, hickory nut, and black walnut crop looks pretty good here this year. This thread reminds me that the 2nd week in October is the prime time to go out back and collect my hazel nuts, before the squirrels beat me to them.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.