Originally Posted By: Stan
Larry, I have tried many different recipes for home grown spreaders, but I've never patterned one that had an insufficient density in the center, or core. I'd like to know exactly which load(s) you found that were not filled sufficiently in the core, or center, so that I can not waste my time on them.

SRH

Stan, you haven't seen Jay Menefee's solution to a weak center using his spreaders? Why would he have bothered if there were no issue with insufficient density? And depending on the purpose for which you intend the load in question, we could probably have a very long discussion over the definition of a core that's sufficiently filled. I'm not talking real "donut loads", but I saw centers that were weaker than the annular ring both with some factory spreaders and my own reloads using unmodified discs. Solved it to my satisfaction by modifying the discs. I did not see that problem with RST's spreaders, but they also spread less than the Polywads (factory or reloads).

But since I spend a fair amount of time chasing birds (primarily woodcock) that are often shot at close range, I've come to the conclusion that it's easier to use a double with little or no choke in the first barrel.