Well, the OP's original question was whether he could remove the leather from the pad and reuse it. The direct answer is maybe. If you remove it early in the program it may be possible, if you wait to long (more than a day or so) it's a problem. You may end up tearing pieces of rubber pad out unless as Steve suggested you use a scalpel or some such. All this is predicated on whether you used Barge cement (not the crap that comes in the blue n white tube either) I mean the original in the yellow n red tube that I don't believe is available in the tube any longer.

I will give you my way of marking the amount of pad to remove to allow for the thickness of the leather. BTW, you must fit the pad to the stock close, just as though you are doing a regular pad (I mean close!). I then remove the pad from the stock and put a coating of white liquid shoe polish to the base. Using a something that is reasonably accurate mark a line around the outside of the pad base at the thickness of the leather (.020 to .025) Grind the outside of the pad to that line and be careful not to overgrind. Make sure that you follow the conture of the original pad.

Doug Mann