Originally Posted By: L. Brown
A number of years ago, concerned that some day we might need to shoot nontox at relatively small and fragile birds at close range, I patterned both steel and lead target loads at 15 yards (not overly close for grouse and woodcock, especially early in the season) through a 20 and a 12 with open barrels both choked IC (.005 in the 20ga; .007 in the 12ga). 1 oz loads of Win Expert steel 7's vs Rem Gun Club 8's in the 12. Results were slightly more spread with the lead load, but not by all that much. Using Kent Fasteel 7's and STS lead 8's in the 20ga (both 7/8 oz) I found that I got more spread from the steel load, which really surprised me--but convinced me that I would not be disadvantaged by overly tight steel loads if I had to shoot nontox at woods birds.

I don't intend to shoot steel (or other nontox loads) unless I'm required to do so. For pheasants, unless there are more restrictions on lead in the next few years, I probably have what for me amounts to a lifetime supply of Kent Tungsten Matrix 5's and 6's. 2 1/2" 12ga. I'd likely repeat my short range/open choke test with guns I now own and through which I'd shoot steel just to verify what I observed previously with steel and lead target loads, should--for example--the feds put in place a requirement to use nontox on woodcock. (Which, since they're migratory, the feds have the authority to impose.)

Don't lose that private ground because lots of the public is requiring nontox even if not ducking.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]