============================================================================
1833 ??? - Riggs Production??? - Reilly design??? - classy

Terry Buffium sent this advertisement.
https://auctions.morphyauctions.com...CO__SCALLOPED_ACTION_BOXL-LOT493536.aspx

Some observations:
1). Guns with "E.M Reilly & Co. London", on the barrels, without an address is Charles Riggs production (post 1922)....Riggs also used a half-pistol grips (i.e. what has become known as a "Prince of Wales" grip) rare on Classic Reilly except for rifles and big-bore fowlers.
2). The SN 1833 is a first and one must wonder if Riggs had a separate number series for special guns.
3) The engraving is so particular to classic Reilly guns that it gives pause. Was a Reilly possibly involved in its design? The evidence is almost unmistakeable.
4) The gun is advertised as having 28" barrels but in the details 26+. The barrels are likely not original to the gun.

In any event my humble opinion is this could be a significant gun. If it is Riggs production, post 1922, it's possibly an indication that Bert Reilly remained involved in the design and manufacture of guns retailed by Riggs after 1922. (The original Riggs advertisement in 1922 would lead one to think that were the case).

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Edit: However, on second thought, there is something quite strange about this advertisement. This is the #2 of a pair. The barrels are 26". The weight of the gun is not mentioned but it looks very much like a Reilly rifle. One must wonder if this is a repurposed big-bore rifle turned into a shotgun and rebarrelled. The weight of the gun (not published) would tell the story. If not, then the barrels have been cut. The barrels are stamped "J. Harper," Possibly Birmingham gun/barrel maker John Harper discussed in this line.
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=456500

This likely is a real Reilly with a custom SN, though without the details - weight, pictures of the barrel flats and action flats/water table, etc., it's difficult to know. It just has the lines of a 295 Oxford Street Reilly rifle from the late 00's. I sent a note asking for this information from Morphy. I don't expect a reply unfortunately. (Morphy arrogance borders on something out of IGC - smile )

Here is 35554, .500/.465 Nitro Express rifle - 1907 on the date chart - look at the lines and the engraving. I now think 1833 to be an original Reilly rifle redone and rebarrelled....wonder if 1833 is meant to be a date?

Last edited by Argo44; 08/04/21 05:02 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch