Originally Posted By: Stan
Originally Posted By: gunsaholic
A brake wheel cylinder hone should work. They are cheap.

And about as fast as molasses in winter. I don't have the patience to use mine. I've tried and tried, and it seems to do next to nothing.

Sounds like the stones on your cylinder hone may be loaded with metal particles Stan. The carborundum abrasive on brake cylinder hones is the same thing that the abrasive balls on a Flex Hone are composed of. Gil was wise to use the recommended Flex Hone oil because it helps prevent the stones from loading up with metal particles. It is probably no different than the honing oil that is sold for use with carborundum knife sharpening stones. Even those load up over time, and periodically need scrubbed out.

I've used brake cylinder hones in shotgun bores to clean up mild pitting, and I have used them to clean up pitted brake master cylinder bores. They aren't super fast, but they certainly get the job done in a reasonable and controlled manner. I know you are very mechanically inclined. Those who are not should be advised that going too far can ruin a gun.

I do like Flex Hones and have used them. I just wish they weren't as expensive as they are. I often find smaller cylinder hones at auto parts swap meets for a fraction of the cost.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.