Originally Posted By: keith
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern

In that case you are good. Enjoy a pretty and interesting gun and shoot it without concern for loss of value...Geo

I guess Geo missed those big weep holes in the bottom rib that are a sign that the barrels have been hot blued. There have been a lot of threads and posts on this forum warning about the risk of the solder joints failing due to the corrosive hot blue salts, and ribs popping loose, Those threads also tell about the considerable cost of a rib re-lay and slow rust re-blue. The big beavertail forend will help that rib popping process too. Recoil plus increased mass of the big fat beavertail equals the inertia that puts excessive strain on the forend hanger.

The good news is that there were a number of other bidders who wanted this gun for some reason. So you can sell it and cut your losses, and buy one that is original and won't self-destruct.

I could make you feel good about this purchase... or I could tell you the truth. I chose to tell you the truth. I will do you no favors by making you feel good about a mistake. Sorry.

EDIT: It is interesting than an E Grade of this vintage does not have the sear engagement adjusting screws in the sideplates.

Keith... not to argue the point, but are you sure just because it has weep holes that the barrels were hot blued? They dont appear to look hot blued. But I dont claim to be an expert without gun in hand. Also I know Ive seen Ithaca barrel with weep holes. Im sure they werent hot blued.