An individual called yesterday asking if I had any information on a J.N. Scotts hammerless double; and as I've owned an example for years, told him that I owned one but knew nothing about Scotts except that I'd heard he'd been the manager of a very large sporting goods department for Simmons Hardware in St. Louis, MO.; and speculated that he might have marketed a gun line branded with his name while at Simmons, but I've no real idea.
The gun I have is a true sidelock, is well fitted and finished and very much a quality "no-name" shotgun still in great condition. It is also a 14 gauge, which makes it unusual and uncommon. This individual sent pics of his gun; it is identical to mine with minor engraving differences, and gauge. There are zero serial numbers on either gun and no grade stamps; both are stamped "Not For Ball" so I'm assuming an early 1880's manufacturing date perhaps? Thoughts?
As I've not studied foreign guns I'm quite ignorant of same and need help. Proof stamps on both are definitely Belgium with the only differences being what I believe to be chamber and bore size stamps. Barrel tubes on mine are stamped "14B" over "16M". I'm certain the "14B" stamp denotes chamber size, so do I interpret the stamp "16M" as bore size? The other Scotts gun is stamped "11B" over "12M", so is this gun an 11 gauge with a bore size equivalent to 12 gauge? Thanks in advance for tolerating my ignorance.