Yes I have the Brophy book, but tons of information has been uncovered since Brophy; and Brophy only records 30 8-bores (all produced from 1895-98), so what does having a Brophy prove? Nothing. If one is serious about the actual production numbers of Smith 8-bores, then that individual should read Jim Stubbendieck's book, LC Smith Production Records. Jim has personally and painstakingly researched and analyzed each of the approximately 500,000 Hunter arms serial number entries contained within the surviving records, and from his research he has identified 46 8-bores; the first dated 1893, and the last entry 1901. All are hammerless guns. From the Syracuse era, the LCSCA has recorded 3 hammerless and one hammer gun example, but with serial number blocks missing from the early Hunter Arms era there are others to be discovered.
All Smith 8-bore gun sales (a grand total of 2) in which I've been involved to a very small degree (putting people in touch with the seller) have resulted in the exchange of large dollar amounts. One example was a No. 2 Grade that sold for $19K, and the other was a No.4 Grade no-safety live-bird gun that fetched $40K; so owning one of these things is not on my bucket list.

Last edited by topgun; 01/17/21 12:47 PM.