I looked hard at handloading in 2013 or so, the last time ammo got scarce. Even then, looking at the cost of equipment and components, particularly the scarcity of primers and powder, it didnt make any economic sense.

Clearly handloading for better accuracy does, but not handloading purely as a cost savings. So i just decided to stock up with a reasonable supply. And it wasnt necessarily that I thought there would be ammo available. But that I wouldnt find the exact loads that I wanted. As of 1/15/2014, New Yorkers couldnt buy ammo online. So i reasoned i would be a begger, not a chooser, with local supply. So why not get exactly what I wanted ahead of time?

The situation today is actually far worse than 2013, because it isnt driven entirely by hoarding. Covid is crimping both the supply chain, and manufacturing capacity. Hard to know how it gets better, given the party now in power.

I havent bought ANY ammo since 2013 now. At the time I chided myself for maybe going a little overboard.

I dont feel that way now. I havent looked myself, but friends tell me you cant even find ANY brand/load of 12 gauge locally. I mean...12 ga ammo was like eggs and milk forever until just a couple years ago.

This is a weird time.

NDG