Originally Posted by ed good
tubes are inappropriate for sxs guns...want that sort of thing, buy an over and under...

Wrong. Many new made S X S guns are offered with flush choke tubes. That may be your personal feeling, but not that of much of the world. I wouldn't put them in a fine vintage gun, but nothing wrong with them in a new gun if it's what the owner wants.

plus, new barrels have to be made heavier at the muzzles, so there is enough metal to machine for the damn things...

Wrong again, for two reasons. Thin wall Brileys can be put in existing guns, and are everyday. They don't add any metal to do that. Secondly, the newer barrel steels are stronger than those used in many old, vintage guns. Perazzi is a perfect example of a barrel maker that doesn't have to make their barrels heavier at the muzzles for choke tubes. I had two MX8s. I sent the barrels from one to Briley and had them threaded for tubes. How'd they do that without adding metal?

an then there are the risks when installing after market tubes...sometimes, installing tubes changes point of aim of one or both barrels...in spite of best efforts of skilled installer, it happens...no one seems to know why...

Wrong, strike three. If the barrels are done properly there will be no change in impact. It's not a process that is occasionally affected by the phases of the moon, or black magic. Set up right ..... do the processes right ..... you'll get the right result. Problem is, not everybody who puts tubes in barrels does it right. It's up to you to cull the shadetrees before sending the gun out.

the presence of after market tubes are a detriment to value of old used guns...better to open existing chokes, or acquire second gun, choked the way you like...

Opening the chokes of some vintage guns can be a detriment to their value as well.

Back to the batter's cage for practice .........ed

May God bless America and those who defend her.