Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Thanks, on both accounts. I didn't remember how Keith said to introduce the gas into your container.

I'll be looking for a report on the bags.

SRH

Stan, I normally use Ultramix 80-20 Argon CO2 as shielding gas for my MIG welder. Knowing that this inert gas is heavier than air, I simply lift the wire feed wheels on my MIG, and then use the gun to squirt gas into the open can of finish to displace the air in the can. A few seconds seems to be plenty for a partial quart container. Then I quickly reseal the can. I started doing this after I read about Bloxygen, but then realized that I had both a 220 cu. ft. and a 90 cu. ft. cylinder of inert gas already in my shop, on my welders.

I began using it to preserve moisture cure urethane paint, which is great stuff, but too expensive to have partial cans turn to rubber. I agree that the Stop Loss bags look interesting, but they also look like a pain in the ass to fill with unused finish, easily punctured, and you no longer have the original labeling information. They are also fairly expensive for saving small quantities.... much more costly than a squirt of inert gas.

I can see rocky mtn bill buying some of these plastic bags, and trying to improve them by poking a couple drywall screws into them... because he has it in his head that his screws will magically exclude the air that causes unused finishes to degrade or harden in the can or bottle. But that is the dangerous sort of intellect that makes a gun owner vote for the Democrats who want to eliminate gun rights.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.