Originally Posted by rocky mtn bill
Self-imposed ignorance and conscientious stupidity are a toxic combination. Keith embodies both. I don't claim any credit for the screws; I just saw that Dave's LinSpeed was still good after a long storage. If reporting that makes me look foolish to Keith. then I say he can take a .... at a rolling donut.

First off Billy, as a retired English teacher, you ought to know the meaning of the word "conscientious"--

con·sci·en·tious
/ˌkän(t)SHēˈen(t)SHəs/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
adjective: conscientious

(of a person) wishing to do what is right, especially to do one's work or duty well and thoroughly.
"a conscientious and hardworking clerk"

It is so fitting that in your latest personal attack, you attempt to accuse me of stupidity and self-imposed ignorance, and then go on show us that you are both stupid and ignorant, via your malapropism. But we already knew that. You probably do not know what a malapropism is either, so let me help you:

mal·a·prop
/ˈmaləˌpräp/
Learn to pronounce
noun
noun: malapropism

the mistaken use of a word in place of a similar-sounding one, often with unintentionally amusing effect, as in, for example, “dance a flamingo ” (instead of flamenco ).

I never said that you claimed credit for the drywall screws. I simply told you why your idea that they would prevent oxygen laden air from entering the bottle of Linspeed, as you dispensed liquid, was wrong and goofy. It was even sillier for you to double-down on stupidity. You did not just relate your observations. You backed up your silly claims with even sillier ideas. I too have had cans or bottles of unused finish that did not quickly harden or skin over in the original container for some time... without any drywall screws in the lids. But more often than not, once a can is opened, the remaining shelf life is reduced dramatically. Some products, such as polyurethane (Gorilla) glues, can harden in an unopened bottle in a year or so. Different storage conditions give different results.

I also provided you and others who you misinformed with a couple much better options. Those who own a MIG or TIG welder already have access to inert shielding gas. Bloxygen is not terribly expensive, compared to repeatedly wasting finish, paints, etc.

Finally, I don't attack you just for the sake of attacking you... even though you vote for anti-gun Democrats. You should recall that I gave you credit for your knowledge about walnut when Bob Cash and Queen Stevie demonstrated their inability to see the glaring difference between a blank of feather-crotch black walnut, and a finished stock made of thin shell walnut. So quit being such a hyper-sensitive crybaby. In my world, we do not hand out trophies and praise for being wrong... just to spare the feelings of thin-skinned Libtards. I commented on your assertions because they are wrong.

The butane recommended by Damascus will indeed work well. In the deleted Thread, I mentioned propane used in common propane torches as another heavier-than-air alternative. Like butane, the disadvantage is that it is flammable, and argon-CO2 isn't. As a hydrocarbon based gas, the greater reactivity of either butane or propane probably would not be an issue with most stock finishes.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.